Antimony from Gunnerkrigg Court!
Like the Kat votive portrait I did before this, there’s loads of symbolism I put in here, so I’ll list it all out!
- Tarot arcana is the theme here - Diego’s Arrow is the Staff; the Blinker Stone is the Coin/Shield - this arcana suite is associated with earth, and where else do gems come from? Coyote’s Tooth is the Sword; Kat’s data cube is the Cup - it’s a vessel (of knowledge) and that’s basically what cups are - vessels!
- Annie’s clothes are an approximation of what Jeanne is wearing in her portrait, since their fates seem to be quite tied together. The choker has been replaced with Coyote’s Seal. The brown color of Jeanne’s original clothes fades to her current white as the skirt descends. Annie’s silhouette is also deliberately similar to Ysengrin’s, since she has taken his position of Medium.
- Annie’s hands are formed in the signs for S and B in ASL. These could stand for many things! Sb is the shorthand for Antimony on the periodic table; they could also stand for Surma and Bismuth, if you like. They also serve as her stances towards the Court and the Forest; a closed fist of strength for the Court, and an open palm of diplomacy for the Forest.
- There’s Coyote hangin’ out in her hair, as he is wont to do.
- In the cosmos hanging above her head, there’s the Fire Elemental Crown and her Alchemical Symbol.
- Her hair makes up basically all of the background, and where it rises up to form the “columns” to the left and right, it turns into fire - or at least the color of fire.
I’m really happy with how this turned out! I might post this one and Kat’s together as a diptych later.